[Love the person you are next to. Whether it be your husband, friend, stranger, enemy or grandma! Just love them. Give a hug, a smile, a note, a hot meal; give yourself to others and you will never regret it. My goal is to inspire, encourage, and invite those around me to see life differently. Brighter, purposeful, and so important. It's simple: Faith expressing itself through l.o.v.e.]

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

A Little Imagery For You.

Here is a blog post from someone I follow- that I feel speaks so much about perspective. Let me know what you think. It is a beautiful, yet humbling picture.



Here is what he wrote:

“My son comes strolling through the house holding his little guitar by the strings which double as a handle.  They hang low from this type of irregular treatment.  There is a clanging from the body of the guitar hitting his leg as he walks.  He throws the strap over his shoulder when he sees me sitting there.  Then he reaches inside the guitar and pulls out a marker, one of several items inside which he could choose from, with which he begins to strum.  I ask him, “Want me to get my guitar?”  He nods and says, “You can play buhtars with me, dad.”

With my guitar out I begin to strum and make up a song.  He stares carefully at my hands and copies the movements as best he can.  As I finish a lyric he sings the last two or three words of the line.  Then I set the pick down so I can finger pick something.  He sets his marker down so he can pick too.  “We can sing, dad” he says with a smile.

Last night I was preparing for a time of worship with my friends at church.  We began a song with a chorus that went, “I adore you, I will sing it with all my heart.  I adore you, I love everything you are.”  I thought of my little boy.  What must I look like before God, singing and strumming and praising Him?  It sounds pretty good to me and others seem to enjoy the music.  Yet, as heard by the creator of music, and voices, and harmony and singing it’s likely to be something quite different than what I might expect.  I imagine myself approaching the throne with my toy guitar and sagging strings saying, “You can play guitars with me, Lord.”  Something quite beautiful in this interaction is the consistent and reliable response I receive.  It is the same every time.  Open arms extended with loving care and acceptance.

Just as one could expect from a loving father, He does not expect a perfect performance or an eloquent speech or any other talent to impress.  It is not the skill which He desires.  Or the expertise.  Or even the talent. These people come near to me with their mouth and honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. Their worship of me is based on merely human rules they have been taught. Isaiah 29:13

…be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit.  Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. Ephesians 5:18-20

I don’t expect my son to say all the right words or hit all the right notes.  In fact, I expect him not to because I know what he is capable of.  His talent is not important to me in light of the relationship we share.  Our Father desires our hearts. 

 I will praise Him by devoting my heart to Him.  I will worship Him by bringing my mess to His feet and humbly saying, “I don’t bring any value outside of your love.  You are everything.”  

With that offering I can take comfort.  He has promised it is enough.
Finding so much comfort as I bring my mess to His feet. He is washing and cleansing me with His love and grace.Transforming my mind and thoughts with His word. Changing my desires. Hemming me to His side. 

No comments:

Post a Comment