[Love the person you are next to. Whether it be your husband, friend, stranger, enemy or grandma! Just love them. Give a hug, a smile, a note, a hot meal; give yourself to others and you will never regret it. My goal is to inspire, encourage, and invite those around me to see life differently. Brighter, purposeful, and so important. It's simple: Faith expressing itself through l.o.v.e.]

Saturday, November 5, 2011

The Way.

Tonight my Aunt and I went and saw the movie called "The Way". It was written and directed by Emilio Estaves ( *Check It Out Here* ). Good movie.

At so many points it got me thinking. The story is about a dad who goes on a long trek that his son had set out for, but died on day one (you learn in the first five minutes so its not a spoiler okay!- sorry!) and along the journey we get to see and meet a few interesting characters and learn their stories- or should I say very small peeks into their stories.

It made me think this exact thought throughout the movie-

Share what you have.

Thats it. Nothing huge. But this movie really got me thinking. I think about life a lot- and how short it really is in the grand scheme of things. We each have so much love and kindness and encouraging words/thoughts within us- but how often do we really tell people them? How many missed opportunities we let go by without saying them. I know we see this everywhere, "tell people you love them, it could be your last time" I understand that. I agree with it. BUT I think we need to do more. Simply saying you love someone is not enough. LIVE IT OUT. We need to love them in all we do. Word and deed. What does that look like?

Saying something honest. Saying something of meaning to someone. Comforting them even if it is hard for you. Praying for them without them having to ask. Knowing them. Listening to them more than talking about yourself. Really listening so that you know how to best love them. Forgiving them. Appreciating who they are. Thinking of them first. Love has so many ways of revealing itself.  But mostly we need to do the following.

We need to live like Jesus.

This passage has been on my mind for the entire year. I cannot even begin to unravel it in my poorly written words, and maybe you wont see how it relates- but hey God gave me these words and I'm writing them so hopefully they will matter and make sense to one of you. so please. Read.


1 John 2:3-11



3 We know that we have come to know him if we keep his commands. 4 Whoever says, “I know him,” but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in that person. 5 But if anyone obeys his word, love for God is truly made complete in them. This is how we know we are in him: 6 Whoever claims to live in him must live as Jesus did.

 7 Dear friends, I am not writing you a new command but an old one, which you have had since the beginning. This old command is the message you have heard. 8 Yet I am writing you a new command; its truth is seen in him and in you, because the darkness is passing and the true light is already shining.

 9 Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates a brother or sister is still in the darkness. 10 Anyone who loves their brother and sister lives in the light, and there is nothing in them to make them stumble. 11 But anyone who hates a brother or sister is in the darkness and walks around in the darkness. They do not know where they are going, because the darkness has blinded them.


So here is the point to this all. We cannot know and give and understand love the way it is meant to be carried out until we know the way God intended it. How can we know that? Through scriptures. Through Jesus' life. We need to know Jesus. I need to know Jesus. I need to know Him more than I know ANY other. I need to know because my entire life depends on it. All my relationships, friendships, family, marriage, future children, grandchildren. All those I will work with and encounter need love- and I want to be able to show it to them, no matter how slight. 

So thank you- Emilio... for showing me.... the way.... hahaha okay sorry I had to add that in there. And for a cuter version of a love story- go watch Juno. Lots to learn there. The good the bad the ugly. And I am biased b/c it involves teen pregnancy and adoption all in one. Okay bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment