[Love the person you are next to. Whether it be your husband, friend, stranger, enemy or grandma! Just love them. Give a hug, a smile, a note, a hot meal; give yourself to others and you will never regret it. My goal is to inspire, encourage, and invite those around me to see life differently. Brighter, purposeful, and so important. It's simple: Faith expressing itself through l.o.v.e.]

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Not by accident.

A funny thing happened the other day. It isn't actually funny in the humorous sort of way, but funny that God always does this to me, well to everyone. But it is during times like the one I had yesterday that I notice his divine appointments in my life. So he is how it goes.

Painfully craved In N Out Burger and decided I was going to go to the one closer to the airport instead of the one closer to my house- so that I could hop on the freeway and make it to work on time. However, I went into cruise control and went to the other INO (InNOut) on accident. The line was HUGE so I went inside to order b/c that is usually faster, just less convenient for us lazy folks. I got my order to go and was going to eat in my car, b/c really who likes to eat by themselves? NO ONE. However I decided that I was going to eat outside because it was seriously so nice outside- which if you know me- I HATE eating outside. I don't know why, something about the wind blowing your hair in your food/mouth, the sun annoyingly giving me a burned nose and neck, and getting sweaty because you grow hotter by the second... ya know, just that- so it was REALLY our of the ordinary for me to do all of those four things 1) go to wrong INO 2) make the trek inside and off of my lazy bum 3) decide to eat outside 4) decide to eat by myself in public!

Okay now that you have some background- here is what happened!

So there I am eating my burger (Cheeseburger with grilled onions and whole grilled onions with extra pickles- if you must know- I've converted many a person to that order), and this lady comes up and asks "Are you sitting with anyone?" I reply, "No, just me.." and without saying anything she just sits down, and five seconds later, so does her friend. AWWWWWKWARD I think! Aren't there more tables!?!? I look around, oddly enough, no, there weren't.

So to break the ice ( since I HATE awkward silence with complete strangers- but really does anyone love that!?) I say, " Yeah it was too nice outside to pass it up, and since I work inside, I want to enjoy it before I go in..." Then the one friend starts talking with me about work and where she works. LAX, and for the TSA as a screener. I let her know that I know about that b/c my mom works for TSA and such. And she says she likes it because she gets to help people and just talk with all sorts of people, and out of nowhere I just start talking about God and how he uses us to help encourage others during the day through random encounters and on and on- not realizing that I am talking about God with complete strangers out of nowhere- and she chimes in and starts talking about scripture- and I answer with the reference, and so on. We continue talking for almost an hour about God and how he works in our lives, and we're spitting scripture back and forth (which Kevin would be so proud of me since I always lose the name that verse game he and his dad frequently play and when it gets to me I am a total blank! They always get mad b/c I should know every verse of the Bible apparently b/c I went to Biola- but I sidetrack) - and not in some weird show off how much we know sort of way, but relating what God has taught us through various verses that help us get through work, or the chaos of life and so on. It was beautiful- spirit focused- fellowship with a complete stranger.

We continue talking about where they go to church and volunteer and I begin talking about my church and our work in Watts, as well as my families ties to it. Turns out- BOTH of those women grew up in the local projects that we work with, went to Powerhouse church that we work with, AND went to the Grape Street School that we are working with as well!!! AND to add to it- one of the friends realize the Pastor and family who run the church, are her neighbors.... I mean come on!!!!!!!

I encourage her the other friend (who mostly listened and chimed in a bit to the conversation) that she should really start going there again and get to know Pastor Todd and his wife Jennifer b/c they could help with a few issues she was currently going through- as well as helping with some food for her family. We exchanged information, said our goodbyes, and went on our way.

But I left feeling so overjoyed, so refreshed, so loved by God. That he would direct my path and theirs to meet me on that day. To enjoy true Christian fellowship with two strangers who were bold enough to sit at my tiny table on that sunny day. I smiled the whole commute to work (which is usually filled with sports radio and lots of lane changing and irritation by the 405/10 commute!) and just praised God for bringing me that small sense of his presence. That sense that he has indeed hidden his words in my heart as it says in Psalm 119:



 1 Blessed are they whose ways are blameless, 
   who walk according to the law of the LORD. 
2 Blessed are they who keep his statutes 
   and seek him with all their heart. 
3 They do nothing wrong; 
   they walk in his ways. 
4 You have laid down precepts 
   that are to be fully obeyed. 
5 Oh, that my ways were steadfast 
   in obeying your decrees! 
6 Then I would not be put to shame 
   when I consider all your commands. 
7 I will praise you with an upright heart 
   as I learn your righteous laws. 
8 I will obey your decrees; 
   do not utterly forsake me.

   ב Beth
 9 How can a young man keep his way pure? 
   By living according to your word. 
10 I seek you with all my heart; 
   do not let me stray from your commands. 
11 I have hidden your word in my heart 
   that I might not sin against you. 
12 Praise be to you, O LORD; 
   teach me your decrees. 
13 With my lips I recount 
   all the laws that come from your mouth. 
14 I rejoice in following your statutes 
   as one rejoices in great riches. 
15 I meditate on your precepts 
   and consider your ways. 
16 I delight in your decrees; 
   I will not neglect your word.



All in all, you may not think this was anything cool at all. But to me, to my heart that longs to see God in the daily, small, and common things we do, it fills my cup. It gives me another reason to praise Him. So- do something different this week. AND pay attention. You will be surprised how much God wants to bless you. At least I was.

Thank you Lord for that special lunch.

1 comment: