[Love the person you are next to. Whether it be your husband, friend, stranger, enemy or grandma! Just love them. Give a hug, a smile, a note, a hot meal; give yourself to others and you will never regret it. My goal is to inspire, encourage, and invite those around me to see life differently. Brighter, purposeful, and so important. It's simple: Faith expressing itself through l.o.v.e.]

Monday, January 9, 2012

God's Answer

For the past few weeks I have been working on discerning what God wants for the next few steps of our journey in Washington to be. We believe we are weeks away from moving into an apartment, and hopeful for potential second job opportunities for me (as my pre school job is only part time). Deciding who/what/when/where/how have been the hardest part for us. God has been so present in our time here together, but also saying, wait. wait. wait more. be hopeful. be patient. trust me. trust me. trust me more. So here I am. Waiting, afraid to hope, and searching myself for trust. Trust I know God deserves, my life is an account of His faithfulness.

Our frequent prayer is that we would be faithful, hopeful, and patient. That we would seek what God has for us, and be open to responding. We know God has brought us here for a purpose. A beautiful purpose. And slowly, He is revealing parts of that promise to me. Little glimpses of a lesson He undeniably wants to be engrained in my core. And this is where the title of the blog is from. Love. The greatest of these things he wants to teach me (and all people) is HOW to love others, HIS WAY.

In all these special, little ways, He is whispering to me, "Love my precious children. Pay attention to what he/she is asking you for. For gentleness, for patience, for instruction, for a soft voice, for a glance, for a smile, for YOU Colleen." God is calling me to love others in ways that stretch me. As thin as the pages of His word. "Will you love them when you don't want to? WIll you love them when they test your every word? Will you love them when they are sick? Will you love them when they are screaming, flailing, sobbing for anyone but you? WIll you love them, like I love YOU?" He asks. Prove it. He urges. "Show me that I can count on you, Colleen." He calls. "Show me that you understand what I am asking you to do, that you are faithful." He says.

And isn't that what the Scriptures are all about anyways (in a ridiculously simplified kind of way)? A twofold story about God's love for us, and His command to love others the same way. To love others above ourselves. The same way He set His son before the cross. To love others who appear unlovable. The sinner. The ugly. The sick. The undeserving. The enemy. The unfaithful one. The runaway. The addict. The needy. The liar. The  orphan. The widow. The dying. The angry one. The abusive. The lonely. The neighbor. There is no person on this earth that is not worth loving he calls. There is no person on this earth more important than the one who is next to you, or in front of you, or behind you. They are His precious one. He made them. He has a purpose for them. They are made in His image, I am made in His image. The God of all creation. No words.

So as I hold and rock a crying child, I praise Jesus. Because He put me here at this moment to hold him and comfort him, a little boy who wanted to be held instead of playing. As I sing Jesus loves me for the 5th time that morning due to popular demand, I thank God. Because He led me here to tell my 39 PRECIOUS two year olds that Jesus is in their heart, and they want to hear it over, and over, and over again. He led me here for a great moment this morning, when one of my sweet little girls looked up and said, "Teacher Cawneeeee, Jesus is in my heart" with a smile that resonated through her body. He led me here for that. Praise Him. Tears in my eyes praise Him.

He led me here for 39 noses to wipe. He led me here for clean up time. He led me here for finger paints, and blocks, and mumbled words, and spontaneous kisses on the cheek, and story time, and watching eyes who respond entirely better to a gentle voice, a whisper in their ear, a soothing hug, an eye level smile, a watch teacher squish paint in between her fingers so I won't be afraid, for 39 helpers who shout "I did it" when they put toys in the right place, or go down the slide, or color on the paper and not the table, chair, child sitting next to them, or their own teeth. Magic. He led me here to show me the many wonders that come from seeing life through the eyes of 39 precious, honestly precious little children. And I am renewed each day from the overflow of love I have for them.

 He gives me a glimpse and says, "This, this is how I want you to see my children. This, this is how I want you to love all those you encounter. This, this is the attitude I want you to have. A spirit of gentleness Colleen. Clothed in patience Colleen. Covered in joyfulness. Overwhelmed with an attitude of servanthood. Serve my people as you serve these children. In word. In deed. In spirit. "

So as I sat tonight thinking of what Scripture I wanted to read, I decided to do Kevin and my devotion for the day (since he is working until 3am...) by  myself. The passage for today was Romans 12:9 &15. I read it. I don't like the wording. Sounds like it came from the Message. (Not sipping haterade here, I just don't like the simplified wording here!) So I go to open my Bible. Where does it fall open to thanks to a bookmark that I don't remember moving... Romans.  What is the heading at this section: Marks of a True Christian. If there is one thing I have been working on this year, it is being true to my faith and open about it at every opportunity. And what do you know. Just yesterday, I got an e-mail from an old friend from High School who I have been messaging back and forth about the Bible and its truth. He has many things about religion that have made him turn away from it and so on. However, at the end of his message he said this... "I hope I do not offend you with my opinions, and thank you for being true to your faith. " I do not say this because I think I am some perfect Christian who you should be like- ad my goal for telling you is not our of proudness or anything of the like. No. I say this because God is showing me links. He is connecting the dots in front of my eyes, I just need to seek Him in all I do. Had I opened Romans yesterday, the heading would not have stuck out at all. But now, after someone telling me that, and making me think again, that even people I have not spoken to in years, see what I do or say, makes me rejoice. Makes me thankful to God that by his grace, someone noticed Him through my life.

I want my life to show, however big or small, the marks of a true Christian. How can we ever know who is a true Christian Colleen!? Well this is what God's word says.

Romans 12:9-21
9 Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good.10 Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. 11 Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord. 12 Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. 13 Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality.14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. 15Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. 16 Live in harmony with one another. Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly. Never be wise in your own sight. 17 Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all.18 If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.19 Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” 20 To the contrary, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.” 21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

So how will I proceed out here? Well God answered that tonight, and has been showing me all along the way. Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, and constant in prayer.

6 comments:

  1. So thankful that one of mine is in that 39!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful~ you have a true gift and God has definitely placed you where you need to be. I'm excited to see what doors he opens as you continue your journey and I hope you guys find an apartment that will feel like "home" soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so funny you wrote about something like this. I was re-reading the journal that I wrote in along the course of my trip and one of the girls gave a devotion about this. She talked about how different our lives would be if we treated everyone like Jesus. Can you even imagine the change we would experience if we served the people around us as if they were Jesus? It would be incredible. I have been praying for strength and motivation to apply this to my life so it was really cool when you posted this blog. God is going to do amazing things in your life Colleen! So thankful your in mine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A few years ago, the Lord challenged me to love those who don't love you. It is so much more difficult. And yet, we see Jesus do it over and over. He knew about the betrayal that was coming his way through the disciples, and still he broke bread and shared his heart with people who would be hurtful to him. He was able to love - without conditions- not love for what he would get in return (like us humans do...). Love you - <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are excited to see what God will do with the two of you in Seattle. Enjoy the journey and we continue to pray.
    Love you,
    m

    ReplyDelete
  6. um.... I think God is telling you to become a writer :) He's clearly given you a gift!

    ReplyDelete